The Art Program at Schaumburg Christian School is currently offered to students in Pre-Kindergarten - 12th grade through four different opportunities. First, students in grades 1st-6th have regular art classes as part of their curriculum providing them an opportunity to express their creativity. By using their motor skills and imagination, the students showcase their artistic talents through the various projects done throughout the school year. Secondly, students in 1st-6th grades may also participate in an Inner-School Art Contest. Lastly, for students in Pre-Kindergarten - 12th grade who desire to go a little deeper in their art knowledge and to experience various mediums, there is an After-School Art Program offered with private and group lessons. See below for more information on both the Inter-School Art Contest and the After-School Art Program.
A highlight for the Art students is the annual SCS fall and spring art shows. Students in 4th-12th grades participating in the fall art show also have the opportunity to be selected to compete in the Illinois Association of Christian Schools state competitions which occur in the spring. Senior high students winning on the state level will then go on to compete at the national level. The national competition is sponsored by the American Association of Christian Schools and takes place at Bob Jones University in Greenville, South Carolina.
Questions or comments regarding the SCS art program can be directed to:
Mrs. Teresa Bliss, Art Instructor
Office Email: [email protected]
Office Phone: 1-847-885-3230 ext. 3035
Personal Phone: 1-847-858-8524
Art Instructor Mrs. Bliss
The art instructor at Schaumburg Christian School is Mrs. Teresa Bliss. Mrs. Bliss has taught at Schaumburg Christian School for fifteen years, and has taught for over 25 years prior to working at Schaumburg Christian. Mrs. Bliss teaches art to students from 1st - 6th grade in Schaumburg Christian School every other week as part of the school curriculum. Mrs. Bliss also teaches the junior high and senior high students throughout the school year and helps them prepare for the IACS state competition. Mrs. Bliss also offers art lesson for jr. & sr. high students who want to advance in their artistic skills.
Art Calendar and Forms
The After-School Art Program contains nine levels:
- The Beginner level is for Pre-Kindergarten – 1st graders who want to have fun and enjoy doing more art projects.
- Intermediate I will give 1st – 6th grade students the opportunity to receive instructions and learn techniques on the different mediums.
- Intermediate II is a teaching course for 1st – 7th grade students who want an in-depth study of various mediums.
- Intermediate III allows students to choose from three mediums to study in-depth. With each medium there will be a project produced over a length of time and can be considered for IACS state competition.
- Beginner Advanced is for students who have experience in art with advanced art skills but may be younger or not ready for advanced class.
- Advanced I is for students with advanced artistic skills who want to concentrate on specific artistic mediums.
- Advanced II allows students to concentrate on either one medium or up to three mediums. The advanced level provides students with the opportunity to concentrate on a specific medium and learn the medium more in-depth.
- Advanced III focuses on one medium of art. This art level concentrates on specific artistic mediums. The student may choose to concentrate on one medium.
- Advanced Prep Art is for the art student who has completed all levels of art and wishes to pursue their art skills to competition, to help with college entrance, financial aid, or prepare to use art in real life.
To register for the after-school art program, please complete one of the After-School Art Registration Forms below. Be sure to choose the level of art class and if it is for a semester or full year. One form needs to be filled out for each child. Accurate contact information (parent’s phone and email) is greatly appreciated for proper communication of student’s assigned lesson time and dates as well as class information throughout the year.
2022-2023 Art Registration Form: - Beginner and Intermediate
2022-2023 Art Registration Form - Advanced Art